The Foster Care Medical Home (FCMH) opened its doors at the end of 2015 and is modeled on the idea of the patient-centered medical home, but tailored specifically to the needs of children in out of home placement through either foster or kinship care. The FCMH provides comprehensive healthcare to children in the foster care system, regardless of insurance coverage, which satisfies state Health Check requirements, including urgent evaluation within 24 – 72 hours, a one month comprehensive follow-up, and three to six month recurring follow-up evaluations.
A Multidisciplinary Approach
The Marshfield Clinic’s FCMH is unlike other programs around the country. Our approach is painstakingly meticulous as we recognize children placed in Foster Care or Kinship Care have more complex needs as compared to the general population. Not only do we offer thorough medical evaluations, we employ a multidisciplinary approach to care, recognizing that in order for these children to truly be healthy, we must speak to their emotional, behavioral, and educational needs as well as medical.
To meet these needs the FCMH employs Social Workers to provide resources and wraparound services to the children and their families. Children and families who participate in the FCMH are eligible to receive FCMH behavioral health services including evaluation and therapy. A particularly novel feature of this innovative program is utilizing an Education Specialist who provides direct services to the child; provides education to the foster/kinship caregivers; acts as a liaison between the medical and educational systems; and ensures that the school environment is able to meet their complex needs.
Services provided to children seen in the FCMH include:
- Thorough medical records review and compilation
- Comprehensive medical exams
- Vision and hearing screening
- Child Life Specialists
- Onsite immunization clinic
- Laboratory and radiology evaluations
- Onsite Social Workers providing resources and wraparound services
- Onsite evaluations by the Behavioral Health Specialist
- Onsite evaluations by the Education Specialist
- Timely referrals for services including:
- Medical home
- Dental referrals
- Other therapy services including Birth to Three and 4K programs
- Other medical services as necessary
- Development of a multidisciplinary Health Passport for the child